Smurfater Toe Fluff gets 'Fimo'd'

With finally getting the Frederick and Toe Fluff characters completed, I thought I'd try something else.
As you probably know I'm a huge fan of Tim Burtons work and Henry Selick too (Coraline) and this style of stop motion animation appeals to me a lot. I also like to make things and just generally be crafty. I havent really made anything for a while now. I think last time it was the set model I made for my Ba Hons course, for the final show. It was based on The Bridge to Terabithia so there was a lot of small details to make with the trees and foliage. I also done ceramics during my A levels which I loved. So I do generally like to mix things together like this. I think it can come across in animation so well, and with using textures too. This is all something I want to develop on over next year.

Its a good skill to have to be able to make things and I'd been seeing more and more of items made using Fimo clay so I decided to try it. I've only ever used actual potters clay (and obviously that is no good for animation and the fact that I don't own a kiln!)..and the DAS air drying clay. But Fimo is different because it is already coloured but it can still be painted over if you put an acrylic primer on first.

So to begin with I made the Smurfatar Toe Fluff character. He was made flat. He was going to be rounded at first but it just wasn't going right and for scale wise too. I think other clay on a larger scale would of been easier for that.

Here is my 'making of'....

All set to make a start



Getting the brown clay ready for the hair and a very rough start for the shape of the body and legs.



Sculpting the body shape more so its more accurate to the actual design.



With the hair attached...




And now the eyes, teeth and feet. This is still very rough looking and needs to be smoother.



Time to get cooked!! arghhhh The good thing about this clay is that it only takes 30mins max to bake. It's pretty straight forward and I imagined it to harden the clay up a lot to make it more brittle - probably thinking more in terms of with ceramics but it doesn't. It just kinda firms it up more and makes it more solid but without you feeling like your gonna break it easily.



Once it had cooled down I decided that it would probably look better painted. I know with Fimo clay, because of the range of colours it makes it easy to use but I just felt that for this character- it was very basic and flat looking with the colour and still had a very shiny look. But the digital version of the character had various tones and shading. Maybes for other types of character this clay works better without being painted.
So the next step was to paint a white gesso primer on him ready to paint on with acrylics.







Once the main part was painted, I started adding a bit of shading and a rougher, grungy look to him which is harder than I thought to get it to blend.





And last but not least, once he was made and finished- I had a little mess around on photoshop to make a quick grungy edit of him. And there you have it! My first Fimo experience!




I do like the clay....but I'm not 100% on it. It's great and from what I've seen others make with it- its fantastic for that but I think personally its better for really small scale things. I want to try making other things with it too though so I understand its uses better and get better techniques.
Let me know what you think or if you've used Fimo clay or any other types! Something I'd like to learn about.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Followers

Twitter Updates

Meet The Author

Follow on Bloglovin